How to build an effective help desk knowledge base.
What is knowledge base?
A knowledge base (KBase) is an organized repository of relevant data, structured with IT best practices and knowledge gained from practical experiences. A full-fledged KBase will help improve agent productivity and customer satisfaction. (taken from MSP page)
What are the benefits of KBase?
A KBase stores resolutions, workarounds, and best practices that help,
- bring down ticket inflow
- avoid repetitive incident logs
- improve resolution times and first call resolution rates
- maximize self-service portal usage
Here are six steps to build an effective KBase:
1. Keep your KBase up-to-date.
- Nominate a knowledge base manager from your team. The manager must own the entire life cycle of KBase articles, from identifying solutions to regularly updating the KBase.
- Include contributions to the knowledge base as a key performance indicator (KPI) for your technicians.
2. Structure your KBase.
- Ensure ease of use and better navigation for end users by organizing articles under categories and subcategories, based on the nature of the issues they solve.
- Maintain consistency in information and design across the KBase with predefined templates.
3. Define an approval process.
- Ensure reliability and maintain good quality for KBase content by implementing an approval process. The following plan will give you an idea of how to go about it: Technician → Domain or Solutions Expert → Knowledge Base Manager.
- Publish solutions to the end users as soon as they're approved.
4. Enhance the search capability of your KBase.
- Improve user satisfaction with better search capability of your KBase by tagging articles with appropriate keywords.
- Provide a clear structure by categorizing every article under problem-specific topics.
5. Determine who sees what.
- De-clutter the KBase for end users and offer what's relevant to them with role-based access to KBase articles.
- Improve technicians' productivity by giving them exclusive access to technically advanced solutions.
6. Manage your KBase articles effectively.
- Keep the content updating process flexible by allowing technicians to revert updated articles to their earlier version, if required.
- Maintain KBase content for use at all times with regular back ups.
- Monitor the functionality and quality of your KBase with timely reports on KBase performance and usage.